Casual/novice User :-
- Have no prior knowledge of what is expected of them.
- Must be guided step-by-step through interaction with machine.
- Must be prompted for responses in a clear and understandable way.
- If there is a widespread idiom for a particular type of application it should be followed.
- Speed of operation of the system is less demanding as users require thinking time.
Experienced User :-
- Whilst they may be familiar with common systems, any new system will be unfamiliar to them.
- It is likely there will be areas of the system that are new to a user and for this area they will be casual users.
- Resources for training and advice should be made available to take into account the varying ability of users.
- Little prompting information should be displayed as too much is distracting.