- Microwaves are used (very small wavelength)
- At very high frequencies (around 6GHz)
Advantage of transmitting signals via radio links.
- It removes the need for underground cabling and the disruption and cost associated with laying such cables.
Disadvantage of transmitting signals via radio links and describe what this means in terms of the infrastructure of the transmitting system.
- Microwave radio signals can only transmit over short distances
- Transmitting and receiving antennae must be in line of sight
- Parabolic dishes used as antennae for directional control
- Signals cannot pass through obstructions, e.g. buildings, ground, trees, etc