- Satellites in geostationary orbit are utilized.
- These satellites remain in a fixed position above the Earth’s surface providing a permanent communications link.
- A signal can be transmitted from a point on the Earth’s surface directly to the satellite.
- The signal is then amplified at the satellite.
- And re-transmitted to another distant point on the Earth’s surface.
ONE advantage and ONE disadvantage of using microwaves to transmit telecommunications signals over land.
- Advantage – no need for the disruption caused by burying cables underground.
- Disadvantage – need line of sight for transmission so obstructions (e.g. buildings) are a problem.
Introduction of computer controlled digital telecommunications improved telecommunications systems.
- Greatly reduced call connection times
- More reliable connections
- Increased network related information can be passed leading to new applications and services