Define the term multiplexing
• The term multiplexing is used to describe the division of a large bandwidth in to a series of smaller bandwidth channels.
• These smaller channels are termed base band channels and the transmission channel from which they are derived is termed the broadband, or bearer channel.
Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM).
- Used in analogue systems.
- A number of base-band channels are derived from a common wide band transmission path.
- Each channel modulates a different channel frequency.
- 24 channels can be achieved on a single copper wire pair.
- Hundreds of channels can be achieved on a coaxial cable pair.