- Clear communication with users and management.
- Generation of structured specification documentation.
- Estimation of costs/budgets for the alternative solutions.
What is the abilities,skills and personal characteristics required of professional systems analyst.
- Analytical ability, common sense and intelligence
- A personality that radiates confidence, enthusiasm and encourages trust
- An ability to plan, stick to plans and meet deadlines
- Stamina, resourcefulness and doggedness to stick to objectives and see the project Through
Three main tasks of a systems analyst when analyzing the existing system.
- To understand the existing system.
- To record this information in a way that they and the user can understand and agree.
- To refine the recorded statement into a logical specification.
- To add the requirements of a new system to the logical specification
What is the benefits of everyone in an organization adopting a standard approach to systems Analysis.
- Increased productivity – the required tasks in each stage of analysis are clear so there is no time wasted in determining what needs to be done and what the outcomes should be.
- Better quality systems – analysts are prompted to ask the right questions and testing/checkpoints review progress and omissions.
- Better communication – diagrams produced have a standard syntax that all involved can readily use and understand.
- Better project management – standard task use standard techniques and produce standard diagrams allowing progress to be easily monitored.
- Better documentation – standard diagrams and documents are produced throughout the analysis phase.
Two problems that the analyst will have to overcome in order to carry out the role effectively.
- Users may be hostile to or frightened to change, or may have little time available to spend time talking to the analyst.
- An understanding of the problems faced by the programmers and designers is required so that the precise information they require is given.
- There may be conflicting user requirements that must be resolved